The Republic of Mozambique Police announced yesterday (5) in Maputo that 17 demonstrations had taken place across the country, culminating in the arrest of 14 individuals while they were putting up barricades on public roads. According to the spokesman for the General Command of the Republic Police, Orlando Mudumane, the demonstrations also culminated in the vandalization of a...
Tag: manifestations
Demonstrations: PRM presents suspected financier of youths to promote acts of violence
The General Command of the Police of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) presented yesterday (5), in Maputo, an economic agent, a cooking gas dealer, identified only by the name of Yassin, who is suspected of luring young people with money and energy drinks to promote acts of violence, vandalism and public disobedience in the country. To this end,...
Demonstrations: Nyusi says violence is dangerous and could become a vicious, generational cycle
The President of the Republic, Filipe Nyusi, says that violence, associated with the attempt to take justice into one's own hands, is dangerous and can become a vicious, generational cycle. Filipe Nyusi, who was speaking today in the district of Nhamatanda, Sofala province, condemned the wave of demonstrations, which he considers to be violent and to spread hatred...
AMUREDE calls for unity so that demonstrations don't affect Christmas
The Mozambican Association of Religious Women and Development (AMUREDE) is calling on society to join forces so that the demonstrations that have been taking place in the country do not compromise the celebration of Christmas, which symbolizes the birth of Jesus Christ. The appeal was launched this Wednesday in Maputo by Pastor Maria Helena Muianga, from the Sião...
NGO points to 12 dead and 34 shot in new phase of demonstrations
The Mozambican non-governmental organization (NGO) that is monitoring the post-election demonstrations has revealed that the new wave of protests that began yesterday, Wednesday (04), has already resulted in the death of 12 people and another 34 have been shot. According to figures released today by the Decide Electoral Platform, seven of the fatalities were recorded in Nampula province and one in...
Analysts say that the problem of salaries in the civil service already existed before the demonstrations
The President of the Republic, Filipe Nyusi, warned yesterday (04) of the risk of the government not being able to pay salaries to civil servants, as a result of the low collection of tax revenue caused by the demonstrations that are paralyzing the country. Speaking to the rectors of national universities, Nyusi said, by way of example, that the...
A new wave of demonstrations has already caused five deaths and three serious injuries
The General Command of the Police of the Republic of Mozambique (PRM) announced that the first of eight days of the new wave of post-election demonstrations resulted in five deaths and three serious injuries in the city of Maputo, as well as in the provinces of Maputo, Zambézia and Nampula. The cities of Maputo and Matola were characterized by roadblocks,...
Demonstrations could jeopardize salary payments, warns Nyusi
The payment of salaries to civil servants could be compromised due to the demonstrations, the President of the Republic (PR) warned this morning. During a meeting he held with the rectors of public and private universities, the PR explained that the post-election protests have already delayed the collection of tax revenues. So far, he said, only...
"There are organizations that are facing legal action for supporting demonstrations" - Filipe Nyusi
The President of the Republic, Filipe Nyusi, says that there are organizations that are answering to the courts for supporting protesters against the election results, "offering them food, water and even money". Quoted by "O País", the Head of State says that, in the future, we need to think about stabilizing the electoral legislation, to avoid...
Post-election crisis: FMF withdraws from CHAN 2024 qualifier
The Mozambican Football Federation (FMF) has decided to withdraw from the one-off qualifier that would have seen the Mambas take on Zambia in their third CHAN tournament. The competition will take place in February next year in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. The decision was taken after a board meeting this Tuesday at the Federation's headquarters...