Nyusi considers it "complex challenge" to maintain reconquered areas

Nyusi considera “desafio complexo” manter áreas reconquistadas

The President of the Republic, Filipe Nyusi, considered today a "complex challenge" the maintenance and consolidation of positions recovered from armed groups operating in the province of Cabo Delgado, north of the country, showing "satisfaction" with the progress on the front of combat.

"The challenge of maintaining and consolidating the rear has proven to be more complex, hence the need for more attention and rigor," Nyusi said.

The Mozambican head of state was speaking during the official launch of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Standby Force today in the city of Pemba, capital of Cabo Delgado.

Filie Nyusi today noted the recapture of the port town of Mocímboa da Praia and several "advanced positions" of the armed groups operating in the north of the country, reiterating the commitment to eliminate "terrorism and violent extremism.

"The control of the town of Mocímboa da Praia and gradual return of circulation between Palma and Mocímboa da Praia is the product of the bravery and delivery of the joint force, with a view to quickly return stability to the region," said the Mozambican President.

The SADC Standby Force, in cooperation with the Mozambican DSF and the Rwandan military contingent, must prevent the armed groups from returning to the areas from which they were expelled, he added.

"In the last few days, we have been welcoming the news of successful progression of our forces fighting together with our brothers in Rwanda," the Mozambican head of state said.

The office of the Presidency of the Republic of Mozambique said on Sunday, in a statement, that the SADC military contingent includes defense and security forces from South Africa, Botswana, Angola, Lesotho and Tanzania, in the specialties of land, naval, air, intelligence and logistics forces, among others.

The number of troops the organization will send to Mozambique is not publicly known, but SADC experts who were in Cabo Delgado had already indicated in April that the mission should consist of about three thousand soldiers. 

The Mozambican FDS have, since the beginning of July, the support of a thousand soldiers and policemen from Rwanda to fight against the armed groups, under a bilateral agreement between the Mozambican government and the Kigali authorities. 

The Ministry of Defense confirmed on Sunday the reconquest of the town of Mocímboa da Praia by the joint Mozambican and Rwandan forces, saying that the fighting continues for the "consolidation of the remaining critical areas".

"The joint forces of Mozambique and Rwanda have controlled the village of Mocímboa da Praia since 11:00 a.m. on August 8, 2021," Mozambique's Defense Ministry spokesman Omar Saranga said at a press conference.

Lusa Agency

Share this article