ENH prepares to begin oil exploration activities in the Mazenga Block

ENH prepara-se para iniciar actividades de pesquisas de petróleo no Bloco de Mazenga

The Mozambican company Empresa Moçambicana de Hidrocarbonetos (ENH) is preparing to start oil prospecting and exploration activities in the Mazenga block, in the Mozambique Sedimentary Basin, more specifically in the province of Inhambane. For this purpose, the Mozambican company has established a partnership with MozGas UK, a British capital firm.

With this partnership, Moz Gas UK now owns 80% of the stakes in the block, while ENH holds the remaining 20%.

The Mazenga block was awarded the concession last year and during the first sub-period of exploration the concessionaire is committed to reprocess and re-interpret three thousand kilometers of two-dimensional (2D) seismic data; acquire 15 thousand kilometers of aeromagnetic and gravimetric data; acquire 1500 kilometers of two-dimensional (2D) seismic data and conduct geological and geophysical studies.

In the second sub-period, the concessionaire must ensure the drilling of at least one exploration well to a depth of two thousand five hundred meters or to the Domo formation, as well as ensure geological and geophysical studies. The Mozambique Sedimentary Basin covers almost the entire southern region of the country and part of the central area, and is composed of geological formations that are very prospective for oil or gas.

Although little known yet from a prospecting standpoint, the Mozambique Basin petroleum system is apparently believed to be related to the Pande, Temane and Inhassoro gas fields. That is also where the Funhalouro-Mazenga systems are located.

It is also in the northern part of this sedimentary basin in Mozambique where the Buzi block is located, in Sofala province. In this area, ENH, which is in partnership with the Indonesian company - Buzi Hydrocarbons PTE Limitada (BHPL), has been conducting the necessary tests since late August to confirm the commercial viability of the recent discovery.

Share this article